Many of us purchase car insurance without knowing what the insurance covers. If we are unfamiliar with cars, we’ll most probably end up getting the insurance that the car dealer recommends.
Knowing what type of insurance is available and the coverage that each type offers will help you to make an informed decision that might just save you thousands of ringgit.
If you are a Honda car owner, the article serves as an informatory document for all your questions on Honda Insurance Plus.
What is Honda Insurance Plus (HiP)?
Honda Insurance Plus, or HiP is Honda’s own insurance coverage that aims to provide enhanced benefits for rescue, protection and savings.
No one knows your Honda vehicle better than the brand manufacturer and this insurance coverage ensures that your vehicle is protected and repaired by Honda.
HiP is exclusive to Honda owners and all you need to do to enjoy benefits such as roadside assistance and a great value is to renew your vehicle insurance with a Honda Authorized Dealer.
Why do you need car insurance?
Here are the main (and very convincing) reasons for you to purchase car insurance:
Having car insurance means that you will be able to protect yourself and others. Accidents can happen no matter how careful you are on the road. Sometimes, the accident is caused by another driver. A good car insurance cover will enable you to take care of costs that might be incurred due to bodily injuries as well as damaged property.
Having the right car insurance will also help you to save. The small amount that you pay now will be well worth it if anything happens to your vehicle. You will be able to put in an insurance claim that will definitely save you from huge expenses in car repairs if there is an accident.
After all, nobody in the right mind would want to pay thousands of ringgit to repair their vehicle or the other parties’ vehicles.
The consequences of a car accident can cause a lot of hassle. Making a police report, managing repairs and costs and liaising with the other parties can cost you a lot of time.
A good car insurance coverage from a reliable insurer will be able to help out with many of the issues that you would otherwise have to manage by yourself. This will no doubt help you to save time and hassle, even as you deal with the aftermath of the car accident.
A good car insurance will also be a supplement to your health insurance. At times, your health insurance might not cover certain medical procedures that are needed as a result of a car accident.
However, your car insurance might. Thus, it is important to know exactly what your car insurance covers. If you are unsure, do not hesitate to call your insurance agent to find out more about your cover.
Know that your insurance covers will also give you peace of mind. While you may be a skilled and careful driver, you are still unable to control the actions of other road users. A comprehensive car insurance will be able to protect you and provide the funds needed, whether or not the other driver is insured.
Is car insurance mandatory in Malaysia?
Yes, car insurance is mandatory in Malaysia. The Road Transport Department (JPJ) Malaysia will not allow you to apply for your road tax if you do not have a valid car insurance policy for your vehicle.
Under the Road Transport Act (RTA) 1987, you can be fined up to RM1,000 and/or three years imprisonment if you do not have car insurance. Additionally, if you are driving a vehicle without road tax, you can be fined up to RM3,000. All this incurred costs will total up to quite a lot, and it is actually much more cost effective to have a valid insurance coverage and road tax.
Types of car insurance available in Malaysia
There are three main types of car insurance available in Malaysia, which are: third party cover, third party fire and theft cover and comprehensive cover.
Third Party Policy only covers death or injury to other parties and damage to other parties’ property. It is the cheapest policy but also with the one with the least coverage. Unless you are really not able to pay for better insurance coverage, try not to go for this very basic coverage as it does not really do anything for you.
Third Party, Fire and Theft which is also known as 2nd Party Policy covers what the 3rd Party Policy and includes coverage for loss or damage to your vehicle caused by theft or fire.
The Comprehensive cover, which is also known as 1st party Policy offers the widest coverage. In addition to what the 2nd Party Policy covers, this policy also covers damage to your vehicle due to an accident. It is advisable to purchase a comprehensive cover as it offers the most protection.
Besides these three main types, you can also add-on liability to passengers and liability to 3rd parties caused by passengers in your car insurance, subject to agreement by your insurance company. There will most probably be additional costs for the add-ons.
Reasons to choose Honda Insurance Plus
There are plenty of car insurance plans on the market that you can purchase. However, if you are a Honda owner, one of the best things that you can do for yourself and your vehicle is to go for the Honda Insurance Plus.
Here are the top 16 reasons to choose Honda Insurance Plus
1. HiP ensures that you have 24/7 towing assistance. This rescue service is available for accident, breakdown and flood, with up to 450km round trip to the nearest Honda Authorized Body and Paint Centre.
2. HiP will also come to your rescue with 24/7 roadside repair services if you ever find yourself stuck with car troubles. This service includes jump starting or replacing your car battery, changing of flat tyre, and fuel refill. Labour charges for this service is free, up to RM200 per event, not inclusive of spare parts that are needed. For fuel refill, the fuel cost is borne by the customer.
3. Additionally, HiP also provides hassle free claim assistance by liaising with the insurance company on claim procedures on your behalf.
4. HiP will only send your vehicle to a trusted Honda Authorized Body and Paint Centre. This means that you will receive quality workmanship on body and paint repairs using state of the art equipment, keeping your car in the most excellent of conditions.
5. Your vehicle will also be protected by receiving 100% genuine body and parts replacements that come with a 6 months / 10,000km mileage warranty, whichever comes first.
6. Speedy claims approval are also part of the deal, for pre-approved claims below RM20,000.
7. Besides this, HiP offers Personal Assistance when you face issues due to your vehicle. Personal Assistance includes the return of children who are travelling with the HIS member, home assist services, legal matters, location of lost items, and alternative travel assistance.
8. Medical Assistance includes medical referrals and arrangements of appointments, dispatch of medications which are not available locally and medical evacuation or repatriation.
9. Finally, with HiP you will also have up to RM15,000 Personal Accident Coverage in the event of an Accidental Death or Permanent Disability in a Named Vehicle Car accident.
10. HiP also comes with plenty of savings. These include a 100% pay-out for theft or total loss for agreed value up to 13 years and a 100% coverage on accidental repairs for 10 years with no own damage excess clause up to 10 years. There is also a 100% coverage for cars up to 10 years old with no betterment contribution.
11. Additionally, HiP helps you to save with a Flood Allowance up to RM1,500 when your vehicle is damaged in a flood while the Special Relief Allowance of up to RM1,500 is available in the event of car theft or total loss.
12. If you lose your key, there is Lost Key Reimbursement of up to RM1,000 for lost or damaged car key. Last but not least, there is coverage for all drivers under private registrations with no name required.
Part of being a responsible car owner is purchasing car insurance and thus ensuring that you, your family as well as others are protected. You can do so by familiarizing yourself with the available types of insurance offered in Malaysia.
Also, choose an insurance agent and an insurer with a good track record. The last thing that you want to deal with in the midst of a car accident fallout is an unreliable insurance company. If you are an owner of a Honda vehicle, you do not have to worry about your car insurance coverage.
As always, Honda has got your back with the Honda Insurance Plus package that is tailored to provide maximum coverage. All you have to do is to simply renew your insurance with a Honda Authorized Dealer.